Thursday, February 26, 2009

Head of State: It's Not A Joke Anymore



I have to admit that I wasn't a big fan of this one when it came out in 2003. Actually it seems like it came out before 2003. That's just how much it flew under my radar. But now that we are a month into the first term of the country's first Black president, this movie deserves a little recognition.
So basically the whole movie is centered around a Black D.C. alderman who gets the Democratic presidential vote. Based on the Republican pick, the Democrats feel like they are going to lose one way or another so they pick lovable and easy to relate to Mays Gilliam to boost their image for the next presidential election. New century or not, of course the running joke is that this Black man could never make it all the way to the White House. About 5 years later, clearly the joke is on the doubters.
Phill Boogie mentioned that he is a fan of Chris Rock's stand-up comedy. I have never really been a fan of his comic style so his movies (Pootie Tang, Down to Earth) just haven't stuck with me. To me, Chris Rock always seems to be shoving the joke at me rather than letting it flow. Unfortunately, this movie fell right in line. It just all seemed so exaggerated and a bit coon-ish to me. I felt like at the time, when people were not entirely sure a Black man could become president, the subject matter was taken a little too lightly for my taste.
Now guys I know you said you liked it because of the closeness that developed to the Obama campaign (the catch phrase), the implications, etc. I'm just not sure that's enough for me to start giving this movie credit. I will admit that it is a great tool for illustrating that anything is possible. However, this movie just did not do it for me.




No comments:

Post a Comment